Starting a Business

New Business Checklist


  • Business/Occupation License
  • Certificate of Occupancy
  • Conditional Use Permits
  • Alcoholic Beverage License
  • Sign Permit with CofA
  • Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)
  • CAPC Tax Collection


  • County Sanitarian Inspection
  • Sales and Use Tax Collection


  • Arkansas Trades License
  • Arkansas ABC permit

*Not all apply to all businesses



The number and size of allowable signs are determined by City Ordinance according to the zone in which the business is located.
See Municipal Code, Chapter 86, Signs
Zoning Maps are located in City Hall.
Sign Permits: $20+
Note: some types of signage are not allowed.
All signs must first have an HDC Certificate of Appropriateness if within the Historic District (see map).
Contact: Building Official, City Hall

Certificate of Appropriateness:
The Eureka Springs Historic District Commission does exterior design review for ALL properties in the Historic District, regardless of age of property or zoning. The Historic District includes most of the land within the city limits. ALL exterior features of a property are subject to the design review procedures of the Eureka Springs Historic District Commission, including signage.
The ES HDC bases their decisions on the U.S. Secretary of the Interior‚ Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties and Eureka Springs Historic District Guidelines.
The HDC meets on first and third Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m. in City Auditorium. Applications for a Certificate of Appropriateness are available at City Hall and must be filed 15 days before the meeting at which it will be heard. Minor maintenance and some repairs with the same materials may be approved administratively.
No fee. Contact: City Historic Preservation Officer